Monday, May 2, 2011

Monster

Down a dark alley
I sprint--panting heavily
arms flailing
churning empty space
panic besieges my heart
chest tightens
constricting bands encircle
my fatigued lungs
echoes of footfalls
shake the night
and tilt the pavement underneath
wind rushing through my ears
as high pitched siren
precedes disaster
Shadows stab at my vision
shapes twisting up concrete walls
I dodge intensely to and fro
hot pain through my skull
drowning out all senses
run run run
run
run
run
     my body screams
 contracting muscles near collapse from the strain
       sweat is flung into the night
a corner approaching rapidly
swaying violently in time with my steps
down on the concrete i glance
look look look
look
look
look
      a silhouette grasping from behind me--
arms outstretched--
almost within reach--
it is him; Time--
and he is gaining. 

This was written for Poets United.  This week's theme was Monsters.

11 comments:

brenda w said...

You build suspense well in this piece. Bravo!

Anonymous said...

how scary!!! your words just made me feel the haunting, nice job!

enjoy the potluck!

http://lynnaima.wordpress.com/

Sheila said...

great build up and yes, time is catching us all. I wrote a whole poetry book about it :) enjoyed this one.

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

brilliant.

you rock!

A++

Reflections said...

The last stanza... stark images, powerful messages.

Unknown said...

Great build up. Hilarious, yet inevitably true, conclusion.

Heart said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lena said...

Chills at the end. Well done!

Anonymous said...

scarily good!

Olivia said...

Time--
and he is gaining..

Very well done with this one..
Chillsssss

xox

Margaret said...

So much... imagination and feeling here. Wow.